You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change the location of Apple Music Library file?

Somehow when I set up Apple Music, I originally pointed the library to the SD card in my iMac.

I really don't want it to be on the Sd card but I can't figure out how to copy the library file to the HDD and then point Apple Music to the new file.

Is this possible?

When I eject the SD card, I keep getting the Music library cannot be saved, The required file cannot be found. I saved the library to my music folder but can't figure out how to point Apple Music to the file.

I did change preferences/ Files - and made the media folder location the Music folder on the HDD, but if remove the sd I keep getting that error.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Posted on May 1, 2021 10:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 1, 2021 11:00 AM

I think I just solved my problem.

I closed Music and then re-opened holding option, which allows you to create a library. (Which is what I planned on doing), but then I noticed it also said choose library. So, I chose the library that is now on my HDD, and so far so good.

Maybe this can help someone.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 1, 2021 11:00 AM in response to scofal

I think I just solved my problem.

I closed Music and then re-opened holding option, which allows you to create a library. (Which is what I planned on doing), but then I noticed it also said choose library. So, I chose the library that is now on my HDD, and so far so good.

Maybe this can help someone.

How do I change the location of Apple Music Library file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.