You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving files and the folders they reside in to another local media (hard drive, USB, etc.)

The thread I found on this subject seems to tap dance around the issue I am having. I just find it creepy that another entity has control over my data and I would like to move it from iCloud to media in my possession and remove the data from iCloud.

I can't find a clean way to do this. iCloud will let me download files, ONE FOLDER AT A TIME to external media, but that is a terrible amount of mouse-clicking. Is there a way I can move all the contents in one drag and drop maneuver to external media?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on May 2, 2021 10:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 2, 2021 3:32 PM

Photo*Gizmo wrote:

The thread I found on this subject seems to tap dance around the issue I am having. I just find it creepy that another entity has control over my data and I would like to move it from iCloud to media in my possession and remove the data from iCloud.

I can't find a clean way to do this. iCloud will let me download files, ONE FOLDER AT A TIME to external media, but that is a terrible amount of mouse-clicking. Is there a way I can move all the contents in one drag and drop maneuver to external media?

How did these photos get uploaded to iCloud?

If these photos are in your Mac's Photos library and being synced to iCloud, they are already on your Mac.

If not already in your Mac's photo library, enable iCloud syncing and they will download to your Mac.

Once on your Mac, you can copy therm to an external device. Then disable iCloud photo syncing.

If you are/were also syncing photos from a phone, you can turn off iCloud on each device to purge iCloud of your photos.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 2, 2021 3:32 PM in response to Photo-Gizmo__

Photo*Gizmo wrote:

How did these photos get uploaded to iCloud?

If these photos are in your Mac's Photos library and being synced to iCloud, they are already on your Mac.

If not already in your Mac's photo library, enable iCloud syncing and they will download to your Mac.

Once on your Mac, you can copy therm to an external device. Then disable iCloud photo syncing.

If you are/were also syncing photos from a phone, you can turn off iCloud on each device to purge iCloud of your photos.

Moving files and the folders they reside in to another local media (hard drive, USB, etc.)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.