You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installer Damaged error

Had an issue with upgrading iMac to Big Sur. Decided to make a bootable usb and do a clean install.

Install program errors with “Installer Damaged” notification.

Re-downloaded Big Sur and used different usb to create bootable usb.

same error message with 17 minutes remaining.

any ideas?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on May 4, 2021 7:53 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 5, 2021 9:22 AM

Discovered the problem - I was using 2 different 32gb thumb drives that were older tech - I think they are not USB 3.0 capable.

I saw a post somewhere that indicated that older tech USB drives would cause these errors for some reason. I used a USB 3.0 capable 16gb thumb drive and the installation proceeded as designed.

Thank you for the suggestions -

Sean McCann

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 5, 2021 9:22 AM in response to DiZoE

Discovered the problem - I was using 2 different 32gb thumb drives that were older tech - I think they are not USB 3.0 capable.

I saw a post somewhere that indicated that older tech USB drives would cause these errors for some reason. I used a USB 3.0 capable 16gb thumb drive and the installation proceeded as designed.

Sean McCann

May 4, 2021 10:21 PM in response to stmccann

Currently the system downloads have been flaky but some voodoo to try: Delete any old macOS Installers from /Applications. No 3rd party virus apps, cleaners etc installed. At least 40(-50) GB free space. Ethernet-only. Log out from App Store. Reboot the router. Boot the Mac in safe mode and try to download from App Store while limiting other network traffic to the minimum). If it fails, try again.

May 5, 2021 9:21 AM in response to Matti Haveri

Sean

Installer Damaged error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.