You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

re-install Big ?

I had to erase HD on iMac 27" 5k (2019). I want to use Recovery to do the new install of macOS Big Sure but I see even after erased the HD, Recovery ask on which HD I want install the OS: iMac or Macintosh HD-Data !?

Both have the same capacty (2.12 TB)

I believe is the same HD and I'm not sure which one I should choose !

iMac 27″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 5, 2021 7:28 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 6, 2021 6:41 AM

Hope this helps https://www.macintosh-data-recovery.com/blog/difference-between-macintosh-hd-and-macintosh-hd-data/

Install on Macintosh HD.

The Macintosh HD - Data is where your personal files are stored

6 replies

May 6, 2021 12:01 AM in response to TonyCollinet

Successfully erased my HD. I am ready to install the new OS (macOS Big Sure 11.3.1). Problem, Recovery asks me on which HD I want to install it. To my knowledge my iMac has only 1 HD, only it appears 2 with different names (iMac and Macintosh HD-Data). Both have the same capacity: 2.12 TB. Yet I know that my iMac has only 1 HD DE 2.12 TB !

Which one to choose for the new install ? Yesterday, during the previous installation, (iMac chosen) 30% of installed apps were inaccessible (permission denied ...

re-install Big ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.