You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Landscape Mode on Portrait-Only iPhone Apps

When running a Portrait-Only iPhone app, the iPad should give the option to continue in landscape mode (I say continue because with the introduction of the magic keyboard, many users exclusively use the iPad in landscape mode). I cannot think of a reason to not allow an app to use portrait dimensions in landscape mode, leaving the margins on the sides black. This would be a much better user experience.

Whenever I see answers to this question asked elsewhere, for some reason the app-developers are blamed. This makes no sense to me. Yes, an app-developer could add a landscape mode option, but for many apps, the vast majority of their users are on iPhone where a user almost always starts in portrait mode. The iPhone is a portrait mode device. It often makes no sense for an app-developer to allocate resources to adding a landscape option when less than 1% of users are on an iPad and would make use of it. So if apple wants to fix the user experience of the iPad, it should support portrait-only apps rotated in landscape mode still with portrait dimensions. This to me is the biggest blocker to making the iPad feel like a computer. Usually when using a computer, you don’t have to pick it up off the desk and tilt it sideways to read, then put it back down to type on your keyboard.

Posted on May 6, 2021 10:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 6, 2021 12:32 PM

You are certainly welcome to express your opinion, however, this will not change the technical limitations of the OS and App coding.

The arguably best method to express your thoughts, to Apple, would be via the product feedback pages:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

Similar questions

2 replies

iPad Landscape Mode on Portrait-Only iPhone Apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.