You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why am I charged for new iMac before it ships?

Does anyone know why Apple charges your credit card for an item, in this case a new iMac M1, a good 4-6 weeks before it is expected to ship (according to the shipping date on my order status)?

Doesn't seem right Apple would charge my credit card for an item that won't ship for some time. I don't think other vendors do that.

Posted on May 6, 2021 4:04 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 6, 2021 5:13 PM

Check with your credit card issuer to see if it is on their books yet. Apple's confirmation emails show the billing amount, but "normal" is that they do not send the charge to your bank until the computer ships.

5 replies

May 8, 2021 5:36 PM in response to RA

I’ll assume you’re in the US. If you aren’t, consult the laws/regulations for credit/debit card transactions in your country. If you’re in the US, there are statutes covering internet/mail order transactions and it can even vary from state to state, to a small degree.

It can be put through as a pending transaction on a credit card and depending on the issuing bank, they may hold the charge for up to a week or so. Most credit card issuers release the funds within 48 hours or less

If they don’t attempt the charge, the merchant has no way of knowing if the card holder has exceeded his credit limit.

However, the merchant is entirely within his rights to charge the full amount before an item ships. Many large merchants (not just tech companies) do this to protect themselves. You can read more about it here,

https://www.freeadvice.com/legal/putting-through-credit-card-charges-by-merchant-on-products-to-be-shipped/

If you used a debit card, laws may vary slightly from state to state, but generally are treated the same as credit cards.

If you still have questions or concerns I’d consult an attorney in your state. I don’t mean to sound preachy or condescending, but I’ve spent nearly 40 years in various forms of retail sales in several states and have tried to help customers understand the procedures and concepts of credit card transactions. I hope this helps.

May 8, 2021 6:04 PM in response to RA

Everything in the post by Jeff Donald is correct; however, I've been buying Apple products for over 20 years and Apple has never charged my credit card until the item ships. This is in accordance with their policies:

When Apple charges your account

Apple receives authorization to charge your account prior to shipping your item(s). However, your card will only be charged after your order has shipped. If your order contains multiple items and they ship at different times, you may see multiple charges on your credit card statement.

from here:

https://www.apple.com/shop/help/payments

They do make sure your card is a valid card by asking the bank to verify and it will show as "pending". So, you may want to inquire with your bank if they actually did deduct the money from your account and ask how that happened.

May 8, 2021 4:50 PM in response to Allan Jones

Hi, no, they definitely charged and debited my credit card last week. And the latest delivery notice is I’ll get my new iMac perhaps mid-June at the earliest.

I think this is known in the industry as ‘padding the accounts receivable general ledger’ - taking money but delaying delivering products (not manufactured yet, out of stock, etc). It shows income for the thirty day period, or making the quarterly statement look good, great sales but no customers get their products. I’ve seen it before in high tech companies, feels unethical.

I know I’ll eventually get my new iMac M1, just feel they should not be charging until shipping, seems more honest way to do business.

Why am I charged for new iMac before it ships?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.