You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 7 won't update to 14.5.1

My iPhone 7 is saying software update 14.5.1 is available, but I can't get it to download. The software version that is currently on my iPhone is version 12.3.1. I have 4.94 GB of space available so storage is not the problem. I have also tried restarting my phone and I have it connected to a power source while trying to update it. It seems to go thru the download process but when it gets to the end it says "unable to install update, an error occurred while installing IOS 14.5.1" Then I go into my storage and it shows that it is installed and is using 3.44 GB of space, yet my phone is still operating with software version 12.3.1

Any ideas on how to get it to update would be much appreciated!

iPhone 7

Posted on May 8, 2021 5:38 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 9, 2021 1:15 PM

Hi ng3g,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities. We'd be happy to help get your iPhone 7 updated to iOS 14.5.1. First, let's go into Settings > General > iPhone Storage, tap on that iOS 14.5.1 update and delete it. Once that is done, you can restart your iPhone, make sure you are connected to Wi-Fi and try to update again. Check out the steps in this article: If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch won’t update.

If you are still having trouble updating wirelessly, you can use a computer to update by following the steps in this article: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch under the section titled " Update your device using your computer".

Hope that helps!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 9, 2021 1:15 PM in response to ng3g

Hi ng3g,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities. We'd be happy to help get your iPhone 7 updated to iOS 14.5.1. First, let's go into Settings > General > iPhone Storage, tap on that iOS 14.5.1 update and delete it. Once that is done, you can restart your iPhone, make sure you are connected to Wi-Fi and try to update again. Check out the steps in this article: If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch won’t update.

If you are still having trouble updating wirelessly, you can use a computer to update by following the steps in this article: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch under the section titled " Update your device using your computer".

Hope that helps!

iPhone 7 won't update to 14.5.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.