You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

white grid icon

Hi, I recently tried to delete an app but it came back as a white grid icon. I tried to restart my phone but it still appears in the Home Screen. I even tried to delete it from the Phone Storage, but it doesn’t appear on the list (I searched for it manually but it didn’t work because it doesn’t exist). I also searched for it on the App Store but it says “open” as if the app is on my phone. What should I do?

Posted on May 10, 2021 1:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 11, 2021 7:18 AM

Hi there 2001Va,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

We understand that you’re unable to remove a third-party app on your iPhone and are seeing a white icon in place of the app when trying to delete it. We’d like to help.

After restarting your device, have you tried deleting the app again by touching and holding the icon? You can find those steps here: Delete apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

We would also recommend backing up and updating your device to the latest iOS version:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If this does not resolve the issue, we would recommend reaching out to Apple support: Get Support.

Take care.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 11, 2021 7:18 AM in response to 2001Va

Hi there 2001Va,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

We understand that you’re unable to remove a third-party app on your iPhone and are seeing a white icon in place of the app when trying to delete it. We’d like to help.

After restarting your device, have you tried deleting the app again by touching and holding the icon? You can find those steps here: Delete apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

We would also recommend backing up and updating your device to the latest iOS version:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If this does not resolve the issue, we would recommend reaching out to Apple support: Get Support.

Take care.

white grid icon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.