You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get notifications from maps when on a different screen

I have Apple Carplay in a new Chevy truck. When I have a route use Google maps all works good. The map comes up on my screen and shows me the route. When I go to a different screen, i.e. radio, I don't get any notifications regarding the route. So, for example, if a turn is coming up I know nothing about it.

This is not how my phone, by itself, works. When I leave the map app I get notified of every turn in a banner.

Can I get Carplay to do the same?

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on May 10, 2021 8:37 AM

6 replies

May 11, 2021 9:53 AM in response to scofaw

Hi scofaw,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you’re having trouble with Google Maps and CarPlay. We’re happy to help. 

Does this issue persist if you use the native Apple Maps app or does it just happen with Google Maps?

If the issue only happens when using Google Maps, you will want to reach out to the developer to see if this is expected behavior, or if anything can be done to correct the issue: How to contact an app developer - Apple Support

Take care.

May 12, 2021 8:07 AM in response to bailier

can you tell me if CarPlay is working as expected with respect to maps? I'm not necessarily asking for assistance to debug a problem, because I don't know if a problem exists. For others that use CarPlay, do they get notifications from maps when they change to a different screen? If so then I know I have something to debug. If it wasn't implemented to support that then I guess i'm asking for this feature.

Having had this functionality on my iPhone forever it seems odd that I don't get it in a brand new vehicle.

How to get notifications from maps when on a different screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.