You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I delete photos from Pictures tisane space will they also be deleted from Photos Library?

If I delete photos from Pictures to save space will they also be deleted from Photos Library?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 10, 2021 2:02 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 10, 2021 2:44 PM

First, are you running a "managed" or "referenced" library?

If you have a "managed" library deleting any image file in the Pictures folder will not be deleted from the library.

If you have a "referenced" library then deleting the image or source files in the Pictures folder will damage the library leaving you with only low resolution previews and thumbnails of those photos.

FWIW it's best to be running a managed library as referenced libraries have more problems.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 10, 2021 2:44 PM in response to hb_23

First, are you running a "managed" or "referenced" library?

If you have a "managed" library deleting any image file in the Pictures folder will not be deleted from the library.

If you have a "referenced" library then deleting the image or source files in the Pictures folder will damage the library leaving you with only low resolution previews and thumbnails of those photos.

FWIW it's best to be running a managed library as referenced libraries have more problems.

If I delete photos from Pictures tisane space will they also be deleted from Photos Library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.