You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random Sudden Lines on Mac Display

Hi All,

So I was in school and suddenly my mac had some random lines that were quite thin and covered up the whole display. After resetting the mac the lines are still there however the lines fade away and the screen becomes grey. Also I connected the mac to an external monitor and I can login and everything but when I do login the external display just shows the wallpaper and cursor. To help, the keyboard backlight works, the caps lock button icon lights up and the cursor on the display works. By the way I updated to Mac Os Big Sur a month ago. Please HELP because this just doesn't make sense as I cant figure out if it is a hardware issue or a software issue.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on May 11, 2021 9:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 11, 2021 11:28 PM

Hi,

Startup in Safe mode then normal boot could solve the issue.

If it doesn't help, try to run Apple Diagnostics if it reports something display and graphic processor related error(VFD001 to VFD007).

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

8 replies

May 11, 2021 11:51 PM in response to 312aseem

312aseem Said:

"Random Sudden Lines on Mac Display: Hi All, So I was in school and suddenly my mac had some random lines that were quite thin and covered up the whole display. [...]Please HELP because this just doesn't make sense as I cant figure out if it is a hardware issue or a software issue."

-------

Get this Serviced:

Your Screen is apparently failing. This needs to be fixed. What is the year of your MacBook Air? My 2017 MBP had this issue, and its screen was replaced 11 times. So, this is known issue of that year's MBPs, and has been reported plenty of times on these forums.

Use Send-In Service:

Contact Apple Support:

Apple Send-In Service

At the moment, with the Coronavirus Pandemic, many Apple Stores are still closed at the moment. So, Send-In Service may be the only available option for getting this serviced. So, have Apple take this in through Send-In Service. They will send you a box; you would ship it out to Apple; their engineers would look at it; and the would send it back to you.

OR...

Take it to you local AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider):

1. Go Here: Find Locations - Apple Authorized Reseller
  2. Click: Service & Support
  3. Enter: your location information
  4. See: if there is an AASP nearby
  5. Contact: an AASP that shows up, and find out more about the services that they offer to fix the device

May 12, 2021 9:47 AM in response to 312aseem

312aseem Said:

"Random Sudden Lines on Mac Display: Do you guys think it is both a hardware and software issue at the same time? [...]Already have that its plugged in but it shows the same thing on the display. Attached is an image of my problem:"

-------

Verify Hardware and Software:

Go Here: How to Create and Use a Black Screen Saver (To Avoid Sleep Mode) - Great for Music! - User Tip. Playing some music with a black background, you would hear music, but the screens have would be black, hence you could see if colors are the still issue while on screensaver, seeing if this is both a hardware and a software issue both running at once.

May 12, 2021 8:25 AM in response to 312aseem

It is virtually impossible to diagnose that type of issue without examining it and testing the components, so there is really no way for us to give you an accurate diagnosis via "long distance".

For a less expensive solution, you could also look into getting an external monitor and hooking that up if that would be compatible with your model.

Random Sudden Lines on Mac Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.