You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur App Store: App update available but no notification

Hi,

after a recent OS update the macOS App Store stopped showing an update badge if app updates are available (refer to screenshot attached).

Any ideas how to enable the red update badge for app updates?

Thanks and best regards, Stephan

MacBook, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 12, 2021 12:31 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 12, 2021 6:48 PM

Hi there StephanDan,

We understand you have questions about the notification badge you're used to seeing for the App Store, and wants to know how to enable it.

The following page offers guidance on managing notifications on your Mac, including badge app icons: Change Notifications preferences on Mac

We hope this helps!

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 12, 2021 6:48 PM in response to StephanDan

Hi there StephanDan,

We understand you have questions about the notification badge you're used to seeing for the App Store, and wants to know how to enable it.

The following page offers guidance on managing notifications on your Mac, including badge app icons: Change Notifications preferences on Mac

We hope this helps!

Jul 22, 2021 2:42 AM in response to StephanDan

I have the exact same issue. It persists ever since updating to Big Sur 11.3. Even 11.5 hasn't fixed it, super annoying. No matter what I try, the notification badge won't show up again. I can barely find anything on that on the internet, so either few people have that issue or most people haven't noticed or simply don't care. I contacted Apple Support and they told me, the notification badge was removed on purpose, which to me, makes no sense at all. Why would Apple silently remove the notification badge for the Mac App Store only.. I guess they just told me that, because they had no idea themselves. If anyone figures how to fix that, I'd be glad to hear that. Other than that, we can just wait.. I guess it'll only be fixed by updating to Monterey, when it comes out. Apple most likely won't bother to fix this in Big Sur, with Monterey around the corner.

Big Sur App Store: App update available but no notification

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.