You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In which Finder folder does Screenshot initially store images under Big Sur?

In which Finder folder does Screenshot initially store captured images?

I was just in a Zoom and took 43 screen shots with Screenshot. Each was a "capture" of a "selected portion".. They are all open and temporarily named "Untitled" in a series up to "Untitled 43".

Without having to rename and move each one individually, I want to go into the Finder and select all 43 of them and place them in their own folder for processing later.

BUT I CAN'T FIND THEM!! (seriously, I looked everywhere and searched for files named "Untitled" everywhere.)

In which Finder folder does Screenshot initially store captured images?

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on May 12, 2021 7:04 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 13, 2021 11:19 AM

If you type, cmd-shift-5, there is an option in Options⌄ to open the screen shot in Preview (I had no idea that was an option). You must have that set.

In that case, they are not saved at all. The image is opened into a new document in Preview. You would need to save each from there.

Or, you can set it to save the screen shots into a folder somewhere.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 13, 2021 11:19 AM in response to Steven Weinberg1

If you type, cmd-shift-5, there is an option in Options⌄ to open the screen shot in Preview (I had no idea that was an option). You must have that set.

In that case, they are not saved at all. The image is opened into a new document in Preview. You would need to save each from there.

Or, you can set it to save the screen shots into a folder somewhere.

May 12, 2021 8:19 PM in response to Steven Weinberg1

The built-in screen shot utility doesn't keep them open or name them "untitled." How did you create the screen shots?

They are saved in the Desktop folder by default with a name like: Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 6.41.11 PM

DropBox is know to hijack the screen shots and move them somewhere else, but it doesn't name them "untitled" as far as I know.

May 13, 2021 10:22 AM in response to Barney-15E

Barney-15E thank you I will repost my initial post to include the omitted fact that the images taken by Screenshot are displayed on my screen in Preview. So it's Preview that's placing the images somewhere on my drive and I can't find where.

=====================================================

In which Finder folder does Preview initially place/store Screenshot captured images?

I was just in a Zoom and took 43 screen shots with Screenshot. Each was a "capture" of a "selected portion".. They are all open on my screen and being shown in Preview each named "Untitled" in a series up to "Untitled 43". (See sample attached)

Without having to rename and move each one individually, I want to go into the Finder and select all 43 of them and place them in their own new Folder for processing later.

BUT I CAN'T FIND THEM!! (seriously, I looked everywhere and searched for files named "Untitled" everywhere.)

In which Finder folder does Preview initially place/store Screenshot captured images?

In which Finder folder does Screenshot initially store images under Big Sur?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.