You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to check data usage on a broken MacBook?

I just turned on my MacBook Air to find that the display is broken and has vertical lines all over the screen. I’m taking it to the Apple Store but I was told to bring an external hard drive with enough storage to be able to backup my MacBook before the repair begins. My question is basically this, how do I check how many gigs my MacBook is using before I buy an external hard drive? If my MacBook is only using like 80gigs I don’t want to spend the extra money and buy a 250gb or even 500gb storage that I won’t use. Any way to check this? Keep in mind I have 0 access to my MacBook as the display is completely broken

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 12, 2021 7:47 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 12, 2021 7:56 PM

If you cannot see the screen, there's no way to tell how much storage the Mac is using.

If you know the size of the internal storage on the Mac, then get a drive that at least equals that.

Getting something larger may be useful in the future for when you decide to make a backup of your storage. Many times, something larger than what you need isn't that much more as far as cost.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 12, 2021 7:56 PM in response to Zionsbuddys

If you cannot see the screen, there's no way to tell how much storage the Mac is using.

If you know the size of the internal storage on the Mac, then get a drive that at least equals that.

Getting something larger may be useful in the future for when you decide to make a backup of your storage. Many times, something larger than what you need isn't that much more as far as cost.

How to check data usage on a broken MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.