You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change vertical order of clips in iMovie

Hello,

I'm trying to make a little movie.

I have moved one strip of video shot with a green screen down from My Media into the editing window below. I now want to add a background image that can be used as the backdrop in the video. I know how to do this because I've done it before.

Problem is it only seems to work if the background image is placed below the green screen footage. And I cannot find a way to make this happen.

The green screen footage is already in the Edit window but when I drag any background image down there it only allows me to place it ABOVE the footage – which means I cannot do the overlay.

It has to be BELOW the footage. But I cannot find any way to move the background image down or the video footage up. It's like once you drag in the first piece of media that is permanently stuck at the bottom.

This can't be right because it's insane. There must be a workaround to swap the two bits of media up and down.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Carl

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on May 14, 2021 5:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 14, 2021 11:46 AM

Put the background image into the timeline first, and then put the green screen clip on top. Since you already have the green screen clip in the lower timeline, just select it and hit delete on your keyboard. Then reimport it on top of the background clip. Another way is to put the clips side by side in the lower timeline, and drag your green screen clip above the background clip.

-- Rich

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 14, 2021 11:46 AM in response to Carl Honoré

Put the background image into the timeline first, and then put the green screen clip on top. Since you already have the green screen clip in the lower timeline, just select it and hit delete on your keyboard. Then reimport it on top of the background clip. Another way is to put the clips side by side in the lower timeline, and drag your green screen clip above the background clip.

-- Rich

How to change vertical order of clips in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.