You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using TM backup's

I have a few "easy" questions on using TM backup's. I've been making backups for years but have never needed to use one for back up. I'm on a 2017 i-Mac(4K), Catalina 10.15.7, using a WD USB 2TB back up drive.

My questions are:

1) Can older backup's made with older OS's be used for backup. In particular if I upgrade to Big Sur will back up's made with Catalina work with Big Sur?

2) How can I demonstrate that my existing backups are ok before moving to BS?

3) Can I re-start in Safe mode using recent BU files without doing a full erase of my main HD?

I know I need to do a clean install since I have migrated from two systems over the last 14 years. I think I have had lot's of kernal attacks resulting in app freezes, force quits)

Bill S.

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 15, 2021 12:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 15, 2021 12:46 PM

Yes, Time Machine backups created on a prior MacOS will work on more recent versions of MacOS. We know it works because we often tell people that have purchased a new Mac, to first do a TM on their old machine, and restore the data (via TM) on the new machine. It's one of the primary benefits of using TM.

If you use iCloud, particular a paid subscription to iCloud I recommend preparing other items prior to a clean install of MacOS. Make sure you sync your messages, photos, etc.. to iCloud first.

Preferences -> AppleID -> (Check everything on right panel) then go to iCloud -> Options -> check everything there as well.

Depending on your Internet connection and the amount of data, it could take a few minutes to a few hours. After the upgrade, verify those same options are checked and your data will be restored without any effort.

Others may disagree, but once the upgrade is completed and I know everything is fine for about a week, I usually do a full format and re-install of MacOS just because I like to start with a clean system after a new MacOS release. My 2-cents.

Hope this helps.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 15, 2021 12:46 PM in response to Bsaw67

Yes, Time Machine backups created on a prior MacOS will work on more recent versions of MacOS. We know it works because we often tell people that have purchased a new Mac, to first do a TM on their old machine, and restore the data (via TM) on the new machine. It's one of the primary benefits of using TM.

If you use iCloud, particular a paid subscription to iCloud I recommend preparing other items prior to a clean install of MacOS. Make sure you sync your messages, photos, etc.. to iCloud first.

Preferences -> AppleID -> (Check everything on right panel) then go to iCloud -> Options -> check everything there as well.

Depending on your Internet connection and the amount of data, it could take a few minutes to a few hours. After the upgrade, verify those same options are checked and your data will be restored without any effort.

Others may disagree, but once the upgrade is completed and I know everything is fine for about a week, I usually do a full format and re-install of MacOS just because I like to start with a clean system after a new MacOS release. My 2-cents.

Hope this helps.

May 15, 2021 4:19 PM in response to Bsaw67

You can use the present TM drive after updating to Big Sur. However, you will not be able to go back to retrieve older files before Big Sur. But it can be used to downgrade later from Big Sur as it will allow you to access that OS version. I suggest after using Big Sur and all is OK to make a new TM dedicated to Big Sur and keep the old TM just in case. You will have to trust that your present TM backups are OK (just check the content folders by date) and also the disk space used.

May 16, 2021 9:40 AM in response to DeeperDiver

Thanks that's good to know that TM will restore from old backup's.

So when I do a "restore" from an Old TM BU while in the Safe mode it literally copies over all the data and apps from the TM BU onto my main HD?

There is no capability to reboot from the TM backup?

As you can tell I am leary of copying onto my HD until I know TM BU is ok so I guess I just have to go in and look manually at the critcal big files on TM and make sure they are ok.

Thanks for your advise,

Bill

Using TM backup's

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.