You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharpening 4K footage makes it blurrier

I’m having a strange problem with Final Cut Pro X. I have imported 4K footage. I have used this method for two years and up until now it has worked fine. Sometimes I like to zoom into the footage using the transform tool. Let’s say 200%. Because I’m filming in 4K this will still look great even when viewed on YouTube on a phone.

But I’m noticing to strange things that never happened before:

Firstly, the 4K footage although as sharp as possible at 100%, looks degraded and blurry at 200%.

Secondly, when I sharpen that footage, which usually helps a lot, it immediately gets twice as blurry as before. It’s almost as if the sharpen effect is actually a blur affect.

I am working directly on synchronised footage dragged from the file viewer into the timeline.

Any ideas?

iMac 27″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 15, 2021 1:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 15, 2021 1:29 PM

Do the media properties and the project properties match? What are the complete specs of the media? Are you using optimized or proxy media?

4 replies

Sharpening 4K footage makes it blurrier

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.