You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mission control consistently, but randomly stops working

Mission Control on my MacBook 13 in M1 2020 laptop consistently stops working at random times. After re-boot, it works for a while then stops. I have every Hot corner set to mission control, F1 and double tap on my magic mouse 2...all stop working at the same time. The only thing seems to get it working again is a re-boot, but only for a limited time.

Any ideas what I can try to get it work?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on May 15, 2021 5:41 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2021 1:42 PM

I experience the same issue randomly with my M1 MBA and the only solution I found was to kill Dock from Activity Monitor.

To do so, simply:

1. Press Command + Space to open Spotlight, then search for Activity Monitor and press return to launch it.
  2. Use the Search bar in Activity Monitor to look for Dock.
  3. Select Dock and then click the 'x' icon in the title bar and select Force Quit.
  4. The Dock process should re-launch automatically and Mission Control is its child process and should now function as expected.
4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 27, 2021 1:42 PM in response to jag4jag

I experience the same issue randomly with my M1 MBA and the only solution I found was to kill Dock from Activity Monitor.

To do so, simply:

1. Press Command + Space to open Spotlight, then search for Activity Monitor and press return to launch it.
  2. Use the Search bar in Activity Monitor to look for Dock.
  3. Select Dock and then click the 'x' icon in the title bar and select Force Quit.
  4. The Dock process should re-launch automatically and Mission Control is its child process and should now function as expected.

May 16, 2021 11:49 AM in response to jag4jag

Hey there, jag4jag.

It appears that Mission Control becomes unresponsive on your MacBook Pro and restarting only temporarily helps. To begin, you can see if there are any macOS updates for your MacBook Pro: How to update the software on your Mac

To isolate this issue further you can also start up your MacBook Pro in a test user: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac This step can show if an issue is happening in a specific user only or multiple users.

Another step you can take is to start up in safe mode and test to see if the issue happens there too. Safe mode only allows certain software to load, which can help us isolate this further. You can read more about that here: How to use safe mode on your Mac

Take care.

Mission control consistently, but randomly stops working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.