You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File "save as" dialog in standard config is useless - how to see the full filesystem?

I have been annoyed many times that the "save as" dialog creates copies but doesn't let me immediately choose the folder I want to save the document in while creating useless copies of the doc. This applies to many Apple originated apps.

Just to weed out any doubts: I am a happy Apple user since OS 9, have made all the steps since X was introduced, have owned several NeXT computers, and do remember the time, when the file "save as" dialog in macOS was useful.

My work-around until now:

1. drag the icon of the file to the folder in the Finder
  2. CMD-click in the dialog and then use "other" to navigate to the remote server, external disk or other folder I usually put files into.

But these workarounds are inefficient in comparison to what macOS offered was before, especially because I have to remove the previous files all the times and have found myself with working on a copy that had already been edited without noticing.

Is there any kind soul in this forum that has found out a suitable way (cheat, other software, hacks) to reinstate the "old-school" file dialog?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 16, 2021 8:35 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 16, 2021 8:57 AM

I may be misunderstanding, but if you are asking about a save dialog that looks similar to the first screenshot below, click the down arrow (pointed to by the red arrow) to change it to the second screenshot below:

Similar questions

1 reply

File "save as" dialog in standard config is useless - how to see the full filesystem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.