You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery is not charging - MacBook Pro 2017

Hi there,

recently my mac is showing more frequently this issue: when the plug is connected, the battery is not charging and the message "battery is not charging" is shown

After searching everywhere, none of the following things worked:

1) change the USB-c cable just in case it was damaged

2) reset the SMC by holding Shift+Control+Option and Power Button for 10 seconds

3) Restart the mac by entering the safe mode (holding shift during startup)

4) Battery is in Normal condition and when it is fully charged, it lasts quite well (so I doubt it is damaged)

But the strange thing is the following: I can manage to make it work (so to charge it) but "how" is quite unpredictable

For example already 2 times I managed to make it work by doing the SMC reset .. but it worked only once. As soon as I disconnected the plug and discharged the battery back to 30% .. when I try to charge it again, it shows the same problem, and then I have to try the SMC reset or unplug/plug the USB-c many times until (for whatever reason) it works

That makes me feel it is not a hardware problem but can't figure out how to solve it. Anyone had a similar issue?

Thanks a lot for any help or suggestion

Posted on May 16, 2021 11:46 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

May 17, 2021 10:24 AM in response to emalop

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities emalop,

Thank you for contacting us regarding the battery for your MacBook Pro. You have come to the right place and we are happy to assist in getting this resolved for you.  The message you described happens when charging is temporarily paused to extend the life of the battery. You may be running high performance tasks and the battery can't charge and perform the tasks needed. Or, it could be connected to a low wattage adapter which can run the Mac but not charge the battery at the same time. Below is a link on options to try for better battery performance for these situations.

If your Mac battery status is “Not Charging”

Hope this helps.

Thank you for contacting Apple Support Communities.

Battery is not charging - MacBook Pro 2017

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.