You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV4K not working through receiver

I have been trying to connect Apple TV to receiver and out to a projector. To accomplish this, I have connected via HDMI cable Apple TV 4K to a Sony STR-HD750 receiver. Then via HDMI on the receiver, I have connected my older Optoma Projector (that has only 1 HDMI input and no audio outputs). In this configuration, the projector receives NO signal at all from Apple TV. However, if I plug Apple TV directly into the projector (via HDMI) it works fine, but I have no way of getting the audio into the receiver and out to the 7.1 speakers set up. I have tried the same passthrough (Apple TV to receiver and out to projector) with another brand of receiver and with different HDMI cables and had the same problem. Is it possible that receivers do 'something' to the HDMI signal before redistributing it out via HDMI out ? I have also tried the same set up with a Roku and had the same problem. Everything works fine only if plugged directly into the projector, but not connecting it via a receiver. Anyone had this problem and a solution for it ?

Posted on May 17, 2021 12:01 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 17, 2021 1:32 AM

You may have to set the AV receiver to take input from the HDMI port to which the Apple TV is connected. That may not be automatic (depending on HDMI-CEC settings).

Similar questions

2 replies

Apple TV4K not working through receiver

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.