You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

help with 2nd hand macbook?

Asking on behalf of my niece who hopes to buy a 2nd hand MacBook from her friend who bought it new last year but simply doesn’t use it! My niece will be starting collage and hopes to get herself one a bit cheaper.

what would I need to be aware of, what will need to be done to it so that it’s all clean ( settings wise) and does the OS need to be reloaded?

ive owned a iMac for many years and many iPads iPhones so I’m familiar with the OS environment but never played with a MacBook.

thanks, Lee.

Posted on May 18, 2021 9:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 18, 2021 12:41 PM

If she decides to go with this notebook, have her provide her friend with the following article to get it ready to be sold:

Similar questions

4 replies

May 18, 2021 11:13 AM in response to Lee Tubb

Few considerations:

1: how much cheaper? If it's only a hundred or two, not worth it. Better off to buy a certified refurbished unit from Apple.ca website directly (normally at 15% of discount or more) or at least get a new one at the educational price (8%-ish discount).

2: if the discount is significant, I'd consider it. But first thing first, ask for a receipt because that matters to the warranty of this product. MacBook comes with one year warranty. If it is out of it, that raises a red flag as it's hard (for me) to believe someone is keeping an expensive and fancy product like that for over a year but rarely uses it. But safe than sorry.

3: If still within warranty and the discount is great, i'd say go for it. the settings and system reset/upgrade is fairly straightforward.

4: If your niece only uses it for school, there are tons of older models of MacBook Air (the intel chip version) that are on great sales now on BestBuy. Take a look there.

Enjoy.

help with 2nd hand macbook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.