You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Photos move some albums in folders to an archive library?

Is there an easy way to do this? I have yet to find a simple solution. I have albums in folders. I want to move the folders from my Photos system library to an archive photos library.

Posted on May 19, 2021 10:35 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 19, 2021 11:24 AM

Export the originals for each album to a folder on the Desktop that's named the same as the album. Make sure you have "Include XML file" checked so you get an XML file for each photo that contains any metadata you've assigned to the photos.

The import the folder into the other library and elect to keep the folder organization.

Don't you use Time Machine to backup your hard drive? That will keep an up to date copy of the library available for restoration in case of problems.

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 19, 2021 11:24 AM in response to Bruce Kieffer

Export the originals for each album to a folder on the Desktop that's named the same as the album. Make sure you have "Include XML file" checked so you get an XML file for each photo that contains any metadata you've assigned to the photos.

The import the folder into the other library and elect to keep the folder organization.

Don't you use Time Machine to backup your hard drive? That will keep an up to date copy of the library available for restoration in case of problems.

May 19, 2021 1:47 PM in response to Bruce Kieffer

It would be great - but it doesn't, so I've invested in Power photos so I can do it.

The problem with export originals, is that it won't copy edits to the archive folder. If you choose just export, then you get the edited file but lose the original. You can choose to transfer both, but then you have two copies of the image in the archive.

May 23, 2021 8:52 AM in response to Bruce Kieffer

I've had some time to work with PowerPhotos. My opinion is it is not worth $30. It can copy albums between libraries, and it can find duplicate photos and let you delete the duplicates, but it lacks very important functions like move albums (not just copy), and organization. I need to move albums meaning copy them to the other library and delete them from the origin library at the same time.

Apple Photos move some albums in folders to an archive library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.