You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to Re-Install Lion OS Will Not Accept Apple ID

I recently reset and old macbook to factory settings. Now trying to reinstall OS (Lion). When asked for Apple ID, I input my ID but it tells me my username or password are incorrect. However I am getting the two-factor authorization on my other device(s). How can I correct this?

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 20, 2021 6:15 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 21, 2021 12:48 PM

SkiBumm, 

We apologize for any inconvenience that this has caused, and we’re committed to getting this sorted out. Since two-factor authentication is compatible with OS X El Capitan and iTunes 12.3 and later, it may be causing an issue with Lion. Let’s complete the following steps:

• Put in your Apple ID and password as normal. 

• Get the six-digit authentication code from one of your trusted devices associated with the Apple ID.

• On your Mac, enter your credentials again, but this time add the six-digit code at the end of the password. (Don’t put a space or anything else between the password or after the code.)

If you still encounter the same behavior, we suggest following the steps in our previous message. 

Stay safe and well!

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 21, 2021 12:48 PM in response to SkiBumm

SkiBumm, 

We apologize for any inconvenience that this has caused, and we’re committed to getting this sorted out. Since two-factor authentication is compatible with OS X El Capitan and iTunes 12.3 and later, it may be causing an issue with Lion. Let’s complete the following steps:

• Put in your Apple ID and password as normal. 

• Get the six-digit authentication code from one of your trusted devices associated with the Apple ID.

• On your Mac, enter your credentials again, but this time add the six-digit code at the end of the password. (Don’t put a space or anything else between the password or after the code.)

If you still encounter the same behavior, we suggest following the steps in our previous message. 

Stay safe and well!

May 21, 2021 11:07 AM in response to SnickZ.

Thanks for the reply, however you didn't help answer my problem. The issue I am having is when I try to install MacOS Lion it asks for my apple ID but it tells me my username or password are incorrect. However I am getting the two-factor authorization on my other device(s). So Im obviously inputing the correct Apple ID if its giving me the authorization on my other device.

Please advise me how to correct this?

Trying to Re-Install Lion OS Will Not Accept Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.