You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos app not syncing

Dear All,

From my old Mac Mini I put the Photos library to my NAS. I bought a new M1 Mac mini and as it has only 256GB storage therefore I opened the Photos Library directly from the NAS. After that I went to the settings and clicked on the use as System Photo Library. And nothing happened. The computer is always on and the Photos app open as well for 3weeks now. There is no update/sync in my photos.

I tried to turn off and on the Photo sync in iCloud, but doesn't work. I have gigabit internet connection, so it should update so fast. I checked the last modified date in the NAS for the Photo library and it's changing. But nothing updated.

Mac mini, macOS 11.3

Posted on May 20, 2021 7:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 20, 2021 9:50 AM

Hi

Unfortunately a NAS drive is not a compatible location for a photos library. Worse, by using it there, you are risking damage to your library, and possible loss of your photos. The only way you can store a library off your system drive is on a directly connected (USB or Thunderbolt) external drive correctly formatted as APFS or MacOS extended - and with the Ignore Ownership checkbox set.

See

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 20, 2021 9:50 AM in response to Tamas92

Hi

Unfortunately a NAS drive is not a compatible location for a photos library. Worse, by using it there, you are risking damage to your library, and possible loss of your photos. The only way you can store a library off your system drive is on a directly connected (USB or Thunderbolt) external drive correctly formatted as APFS or MacOS extended - and with the Ignore Ownership checkbox set.

See

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

Photos app not syncing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.