You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirDrop: do both computers need to be running the same iOS

AirDrop noob here: I'm having difficulty moving files from my desktop to the laptop using airdrop. Both have bluetooth active, so I am wondering if the problem is the desktop is running Big Sur and the laptop is running Catalina.

The difference between the two has caused some iCloud issues, which is why I am not using it in this situation (Also, I want to preserve the filing system I have in place). So, I'm wondering if that same problem is the reason I can't get AirDrop to work. That or I'm just dum.

I have been following the steps listed below. Also, I have noticed on my desktop (Big Sur), the laptop shows up in the AirDrop Finder window; however, the reverse is not true.

Use AirDrop on your Mac to send files to devices near you

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Posted on May 23, 2021 1:44 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 23, 2021 7:52 PM

I just verified that I can use AirDrop between two of my Macs; one running Big Sur, and the other, High Sierra, so I don't think the issue is different OS versions.

Take a look at the following support article to double-check you didn't miss anything when attempting to use AirDrop:

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 23, 2021 7:52 PM in response to hoopsmiller

I just verified that I can use AirDrop between two of my Macs; one running Big Sur, and the other, High Sierra, so I don't think the issue is different OS versions.

Take a look at the following support article to double-check you didn't miss anything when attempting to use AirDrop:

AirDrop: do both computers need to be running the same iOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.