You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i just received a message on my MacBook Air that I have spyware on the computer

I just received a pop-up that said my MacBook air was infected with spyware and to call a number 1-833-251-****. I did not call this number and I shut down my computer. Is this for real or just more spyware and what should I do about it if anything.

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on May 24, 2021 2:19 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 24, 2021 2:44 PM

Above is correct.

More info on common scams—of which you just encountered one—at the following two blue-text links:

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Scam Pop-ups, Scam Viruses, Scam Receipts… - Apple Community

If a website could scan your Mac for malware, they wouldn’t bother. They’d just upload all your data, passwords and the rest. The advertisers can’t, so they use words that cause a strong reaction, words such as “hacker”, or “virus”, or whatever hooks the readers’ attention.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 24, 2021 2:44 PM in response to Cjay1717

Above is correct.

More info on common scams—of which you just encountered one—at the following two blue-text links:

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Scam Pop-ups, Scam Viruses, Scam Receipts… - Apple Community

If a website could scan your Mac for malware, they wouldn’t bother. They’d just upload all your data, passwords and the rest. The advertisers can’t, so they use words that cause a strong reaction, words such as “hacker”, or “virus”, or whatever hooks the readers’ attention.

i just received a message on my MacBook Air that I have spyware on the computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.