You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slideshow export from Photos image loss quality.

Hello,

Can someone please offer to explain why every time I export a slideshow out of photos the image quality is lost. I have a 27" iMac with the most up to date software, (May 28th, 2021) I export at 1080p. I am using high resolution images and every time I have tried to export the image quality is lost poor, colours and clarity. If anybody knows of free software or how to remedy this please let me know?

T.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on May 28, 2021 10:50 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 28, 2021 12:11 PM

I am using high resolution images

What size are the images, in pixels? If you have say, a 24 megapixel camera then the shots from that will be 6,000 pixels x 4,000 pixels. When you export them in a slide show the images are compressed severely: down to 1080 x 1920 - which is a little over 2 megapixels. So there is always the risk of significant quality loss.

That said I've not found the loss to be terribly noticeable so perhaps you might try and compare the results with some other apps - even on free trials - and see if the result more suits your taste.

Alternatives to Photos slideshow include:

iMovie is on every Mac sold.

Others, in order of price:

PhotoToMovie  $49.95

PulpMotion  $129

FotoMagico $99 

Final Cut Pro X $299

It's difficult to compare these apps. They have differences in capability - some are driven off templates. some aren't. Some have a wider variety of transitions. Others will have excellent audio controls. It's worth checking them out to see what meets your needs. However, there is no doubt that Final Cut Pro X is the most capable app of them all. You get what you pay for.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 28, 2021 12:11 PM in response to DesignSuperstar

I am using high resolution images

What size are the images, in pixels? If you have say, a 24 megapixel camera then the shots from that will be 6,000 pixels x 4,000 pixels. When you export them in a slide show the images are compressed severely: down to 1080 x 1920 - which is a little over 2 megapixels. So there is always the risk of significant quality loss.

That said I've not found the loss to be terribly noticeable so perhaps you might try and compare the results with some other apps - even on free trials - and see if the result more suits your taste.

Alternatives to Photos slideshow include:

iMovie is on every Mac sold.

Others, in order of price:

PhotoToMovie  $49.95

PulpMotion  $129

FotoMagico $99 

Final Cut Pro X $299

It's difficult to compare these apps. They have differences in capability - some are driven off templates. some aren't. Some have a wider variety of transitions. Others will have excellent audio controls. It's worth checking them out to see what meets your needs. However, there is no doubt that Final Cut Pro X is the most capable app of them all. You get what you pay for.

Slideshow export from Photos image loss quality.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.