You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Encrypted Time Machine password password length

So far all I can come up with is 12 characters being the most you can use for an encrypted Time Machine backup. Does anyone know if that is currently correct or if it has been extended to more than 12.

thank you

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 29, 2021 7:36 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 30, 2021 8:46 PM

Apple's encryption for Time Machine backups only accepts 12 characters. There's no error message, so you can enter longer passwords than this and it will simply truncate what you type and then record it in the Keychain. In Mac OS help, under time machine passwords, it shows password manager with only 12 characters. I am not using Big Sur, so this is based on Catalina.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 30, 2021 8:46 PM in response to gene731

Apple's encryption for Time Machine backups only accepts 12 characters. There's no error message, so you can enter longer passwords than this and it will simply truncate what you type and then record it in the Keychain. In Mac OS help, under time machine passwords, it shows password manager with only 12 characters. I am not using Big Sur, so this is based on Catalina.

May 30, 2021 8:57 PM in response to toastosxDC

Oh okay so as you say if I put in like a 20

character password and it takes it without any warnings, only the first 12 characters are used? That’s interesting to know. I had even chatted with Apple Support afteR I posted the question and even that person did not know. Thank you for the help and the reply. Have a great weekend. Oh by the way Catalina is what I am on as well.

May 30, 2021 9:08 PM in response to gene731

Yes, that's how I understand it to be. Sounds more like a bug to me but whatever. BTW, my brother had an issue with his email sending out from his account but with his wife's name on the header. Apple support couldn't figure out why or how to change it, he finally called me and I fixed it in 20 minutes. Geez-o-whiz.... Thanks, and Enjoy your weekend to ... Cheers ...

Encrypted Time Machine password password length

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.