You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't record output using Quicktime Player.

greetings

I have been able to previously record my computer audio sometimes using a combination of QuickTime player and iShow u capture audio. but now it seems that ishow u isn't compatible with big sur. so I searched online and people say that I can record the output audio using QuickTime alone but I'm unable. neither input nor output is being recorded. and yes, have tried changing my audio sources both from the system preference and from the small rectangle that pops up just before clicking record. but none of the ways seem to work.if there is any free screen recording app that I might download is also great.anything that works is really really appreciated. its really really important that I record everything on my screen along with my audio for my lectures. so please help me out. literally begging anyone. quite desperate here.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on May 30, 2021 2:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2021 3:01 AM

Thank you sooo much mr.jeffreythefrog. It works perfectly. I have been in the hospital but my classes have been going on. So I really can't thank you enough. I have downloaded the BH 2ch but I saw that there is also a 16ch one. May I ask how is that different?

5 replies

May 30, 2021 7:27 AM in response to SumyaFaruqui

i used to use QT with soundflower but now i use the combo of QT and the free BlackHole Virtual Audio Driver. i don't know if iShow u capture used to work the same way as BlackHole, so i'll give you all of the steps as if it's new to you.

once BH is installed, in recording options you can choose BlackHole instead of Built-in Microphone.

you will also need to set up a multi-output device in your audio MIDI setup utility to be able to both hear and record the internal audio at the same time.

to set up a multi-output device:

Open Audio MIDI Setup: (found in /Applications/Utilities)

hit the '+' button in the bottom left corner and select "Create Multi Output Device"

then in the panel that appears on the right, in the Multi-Output Device tab, select "Built-in Output" AND "BlackHole 2ch". (and, if you want, any of your other connected devices.)

once you do that, (and BEFORE recording) you can choose "BlackHole 2ch" or "Multi-Output Device" in your menubar "sound options". 

to both hear the speakers and record the audio at the same time, choose "Multi-Output Device". before choosing multi-out, set the internal speakers' volume to a comfortable level first. you cannot control the volume once you are in multi-out mode.

and just FYI, to download BlackHole the developer asks for your e-mail address but they haven't sent me even one spam-mail.

Can't record output using Quicktime Player.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.