You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk encryption

I used to take an external harddisk with me, because I want to have my pictures and data available at all times. So I encrypted the thing then. Now that I am not "on the road" anymore, encryption is not needed anymore, so how can I undo the encryption?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 31, 2021 1:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 31, 2021 4:37 AM

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/mac-help/mchlp2560/mac - image it would be similar for external drive

Turn off FileVault encryption on Mac

When you turn off FileVault, encryption is turned off and the contents of your Mac are decrypted. The decrypting could take a while, depending on how much information you have stored. However, you can still use your Mac to do other tasks while the information is being decrypted.

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, click Security & Privacy, then click FileVault.
  2. If the lock at the bottom left is locked , click it to unlock the preference pane.
  3. Click Turn Off FileVault.
  4. Click Turn Off Encryption.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 31, 2021 4:37 AM in response to hanyvo

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/mac-help/mchlp2560/mac - image it would be similar for external drive

Turn off FileVault encryption on Mac

When you turn off FileVault, encryption is turned off and the contents of your Mac are decrypted. The decrypting could take a while, depending on how much information you have stored. However, you can still use your Mac to do other tasks while the information is being decrypted.

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, click Security & Privacy, then click FileVault.
  2. If the lock at the bottom left is locked , click it to unlock the preference pane.
  3. Click Turn Off FileVault.
  4. Click Turn Off Encryption.

Disk encryption

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.