You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing custom icons for Finder and Trash

I was going to change The icons for Finder and Trash and it worked for Catalina. Maybe it had increased more security on Big Sur. How do I change the icons for Finder and Trash on Big Sur?

Posted on Jun 1, 2021 8:42 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2021 8:43 AM

i check to see if there has been any progress with being able to change those two icons about once a week. so far, no i haven't found a way to do this in big sur. there was one page i found that looked promising. but after reading the page there was two huge issues. the first is that the author wanted me to copy a terminal command that did not show me the command. it just said "click here". and the second issue was even bigger. the article stated that you need to disable SIP and authenticated-root to change icons. not a big deal, right? but then the article went on to say that once re-enabling those items, the mac might go into a boot loop. and the suggested solution to fix it was to leave SIP permanently disabled. so, for obvious reasons, i didn't proceed. and i'm not going to waste your time by providing a link to that page. but i am still actively looking for a solution to this. if i find one, i'll come back here and post it.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 2, 2021 8:43 AM in response to Calvin_BT

i check to see if there has been any progress with being able to change those two icons about once a week. so far, no i haven't found a way to do this in big sur. there was one page i found that looked promising. but after reading the page there was two huge issues. the first is that the author wanted me to copy a terminal command that did not show me the command. it just said "click here". and the second issue was even bigger. the article stated that you need to disable SIP and authenticated-root to change icons. not a big deal, right? but then the article went on to say that once re-enabling those items, the mac might go into a boot loop. and the suggested solution to fix it was to leave SIP permanently disabled. so, for obvious reasons, i didn't proceed. and i'm not going to waste your time by providing a link to that page. but i am still actively looking for a solution to this. if i find one, i'll come back here and post it.

Changing custom icons for Finder and Trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.