You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch not pairing with iPhone

Ive had the same Apple Watch series 3 since about 2018 I’ve had an iPhone XR for about a year and they’ve been paired for awhile. Couple weeks ago I tried to update my watch but it wasn’t updating (always stuck on the beginning), and because of this I erased all content and setting on my watch and tried to pair again hoping it would be able to update this time. Ever since this whole situation I have tried to pair the watch to my iPhone about 20 times, I erased all content and settings again on my watch and I still get the message “Failed to pair”. This has been frustrating and I can’t seem to find any other information about this online. If anyone has an answer on what I can do it would be much appreciated.

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 7

Posted on Jun 2, 2021 8:36 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2021 1:45 AM

The apple watch 3 GPS only has only 8GB of internal storage, most of that is taken up by the operating system and other critical software. So installing a major update is not going to be easy;

1.Unpair and erase your watch to factory settings.

2.Set up and pair the watch again,but setup as new not from a backup.

3.Update the watch, which now has enough free memory to update

4.Unpair and erase the watch a second time

5.Re-pair the watch with your phone, but choose the backup you made in step 1,another backup is made in step 4 but don't choose that one.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 3, 2021 1:45 AM in response to Guy_Z

The apple watch 3 GPS only has only 8GB of internal storage, most of that is taken up by the operating system and other critical software. So installing a major update is not going to be easy;

1.Unpair and erase your watch to factory settings.

2.Set up and pair the watch again,but setup as new not from a backup.

3.Update the watch, which now has enough free memory to update

4.Unpair and erase the watch a second time

5.Re-pair the watch with your phone, but choose the backup you made in step 1,another backup is made in step 4 but don't choose that one.

Apple Watch not pairing with iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.