You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

total file count

How do I count the files on my hard disk on macOS 10.15.7. It is not shown in Disk Utility.

Posted on Jun 3, 2021 8:29 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2021 11:42 AM

Thanks so much for the heads-up. I had no idea about some of those issues. It's all very useful info. I appreciate you taking the time to make me aware of it all. It was much more than I expected. Thanks again!

4 replies

Jun 5, 2021 9:47 AM in response to using_a_macbook

SuperDuper will make a "clone" type backup. On a USB 3 port, 250 GB should be backed up in about 1 hour or less. I often see speeds of 100 MB/s with SuperDuper, although USB 3 can support much faster throughput. The speed is slowed down by sorting through many small files that need to be backed up.

It is good to have a different type of backup in addition to Time Machine.

If you purchase the license for SuperDuper, you will get the option to update the clone backup to match the source but it is much faster because only changed files are backed up incrementally. This makes incremental backups take minutes, not hours.

Time Machine works best just connected and backing up automatically in the background. You can't change the number of small files in the OS so it's not something to spend time worrying about.

Time Machine (and possibly programs like SuperDuper) can be GREATLY slowed down by the presence of:

• anti-virus, security, network monitoring, or "protection" packages installed [anti-virus can slow things down for Time Machine by 10x or more]
  • "cleaner" apps that claim to make the Mac run more efficiently but typically do the opposite
  • virtual machines -- these create huge files/folders and just booting into the virtual machine and changing nothing will make it look like the entire thing has to be backed up when programs like Time Machine, SuperDuper, etc. check. It is often best to put those virtual machine files on the "exception" list ("do not back up") and to simply manually copy them to a separate backup disk maybe once a week or so.
  • large amounts of never ending network traffic

Jun 3, 2021 9:56 AM in response to using_a_macbook

I'm sure there is a better way but cloning programs (like SuperDuper) tell you this when they make a clone:

| 01:16:41 PM | Info |       Evaluated 1846041 items occupying 472.43 GB (500066 directories, 1332406 files, 13569 symlinks)

| 01:16:41 PM | Info |       Copied  1274198 items totaling  462.14 GB (316785 directories, 1260630 files, 13568 symlinks)

| 01:16:41 PM | Info |       Cloned  464.49 GB of data in 5394 seconds at an effective transfer rate of 86.11 MB/s

See above, roughly 2 million files evaluated. But I'm sure this is an undercount because there are some files that cloning programs ignore. Wondering what you might do with this information. The MacOS has hundreds of thousands of tiny files embedded ...

Jun 5, 2021 8:52 AM in response to steve626

It isn't a terribly important issue. With 250+ GB on my hard drive, elapsed times for Time Machine backups, and even copies of large folders, are becoming so painful that I am not backing up as I should. So, I decided to see just how many files were involved. After 30 minutes I was amazed that I could not find what I had always taken for granted on Windows. I came here because I felt surely someone must know a way.

I have downloaded the free copy of SuperDuper, which, from your data seems like it will be much faster, and offer a lot more conveniences. Any tips?

total file count

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.