You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K (2nd Generation) on Ultrawide

I’m running the Apple TV 4K (2nd gen) on my 3840x1600p native LG 38GL950G-B. It works perfectly fine on every resolution except for 1600p, where the image is crystal clear in the center and distorted on the outer edges. I’m unsure if it is an issue with the Apple TV, or an issue with the monitor.

What should I do?

Any help would be appreciated!

p.s the issue is not with the HDMI cable, and the Apple TV does output full 4K HDR just fine on my other 4K TV.

Apple TV, tvOS 14

Posted on Jun 5, 2021 7:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2021 9:19 AM

As ultra-wide screen screens are uncommon it may not have been a priority. HYou could send feedback to them: https://www.apple.com/feedback/apple-tv/

You won't receive an answer but they do read all the feedback.

Similar questions

6 replies

Jun 28, 2021 8:03 AM in response to bryanhbng

No, I have received no help on this issue. You should probably give your monitor model, brand, resolution, and preferably a picture! But it looks like it is turning out to be an Apple TV problem, and not a problem with our monitors.

Hopefully a problem they'd be able to fix with a software update... Can anybody from apple acknowledge this problem?

Jun 28, 2021 8:27 AM in response to D3fr0s7

Your monitor's aspect ratio is 21:9 whereas TVs are 16:9 - is the ATV actually capable of feeding a non-standard aspect ratio? If set to 1600p I would have thought it would have expected a width of 2844. Your image looks as if it is struggling to display in 16:9 and failing miserably. What does it do with lower resolutions? Does it fill the screen and stretch the image, or display 16:9 pillarboxed?

Jun 28, 2021 9:17 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

If the Apple TV is displaying a lower resolution, it will show the 16:9 aspect ratio pillar-boxed.

Your theory about it trying to force a 2844p wide resolution sounds very plausible.

The ATV is capable of 4K 3840x2160p, so I see no reason why it shouldn't be able to output 3840x1600p, but it does seem like it will be a problem they need to address on the software side.

Apple TV 4K (2nd Generation) on Ultrawide

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.