You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No disc to install to after reset

My son reset his laptop and now the installation does not continu. It appears that there is no installation disc active to install MacOS Catalina. In the disc help menu I can put back a drive but it warns that this procedure cannot be undone. That leaves me hesitant to press the button. On the disc is nothing of value, my son works in the cloud. What can I do?

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jun 6, 2021 3:00 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2021 3:17 PM

No, but my guess is the Restore function of Disk Utility.

You would have had to create a disk image to restore from.

Apple disk image Media is not something you could restore. It is the Recovery OS.

Did he erase the drive completely?

If so, you need to Restore from a Time Machine backup or Reinstall macOS. Both options are on the main page of the Utilities.

About macOS Recovery on Intel-based Mac computers - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 6, 2021 3:17 PM in response to Jil76

No, but my guess is the Restore function of Disk Utility.

You would have had to create a disk image to restore from.

Apple disk image Media is not something you could restore. It is the Recovery OS.

Did he erase the drive completely?

If so, you need to Restore from a Time Machine backup or Reinstall macOS. Both options are on the main page of the Utilities.

About macOS Recovery on Intel-based Mac computers - Apple Support

No disc to install to after reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.