You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

store a random order

It is not possible to store a random order for a playlist in the music app for mac.

- I click on "play random" in a playlist

- then I go to "play next"

- then I copy the displayed 20 songs to a new empty playlist.

- then I repeat all this steps until i have all the songs ot the old playlist in the new one.

Surprise: The new playlist has the same playing oder as the old one. 

Is there any other app (maybe for IOS) where I can store a random order to a playlist?

Posted on Jun 6, 2021 9:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2021 1:24 PM

Thomas,

You might remember that in the old days of iTunes, it was possible to put a list into a random order with one click. That capability is no longer there.

If your main objective is to not repeat songs that you have already heard recently, make it a Smart Playlist, and add a rule "Last Played" "not in the last" "X" "weeks." Once a song has played, it will fly off the list and not reappear until the specified time has passed.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 7, 2021 1:24 PM in response to Thomas Arens

Thomas,

You might remember that in the old days of iTunes, it was possible to put a list into a random order with one click. That capability is no longer there.

If your main objective is to not repeat songs that you have already heard recently, make it a Smart Playlist, and add a rule "Last Played" "not in the last" "X" "weeks." Once a song has played, it will fly off the list and not reappear until the specified time has passed.

Jun 7, 2021 9:46 AM in response to Thomas Arens

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for posting in the Apple Support Communities! We'd be glad to see how we can help. First, we'd like to ask you a few questions to ensure we're on the same page about your issue. It seems you're wanting to sort your playlist in a random order so they would also play in a random order, is this correct? If so, there isn't a feature to randomize an order in a playlist. However, there is an option to sort your playlist by the order your songs were added to it that could be helpful for you. When in a playlist, you'll want to click on View in the menu bar > Sort By > Playlist Order.

In addition, have you tried shuffling your music to play randomly? You can do so by checking out the steps in Repeat and shuffle music.

If this doesn't work and you'd still like to store your music randomly, we'd recommend leaving your feedback at Product Feedback. This way your feedback will be reviewed directly by Apple and can help improve products in the future.

Cheers!

Jun 7, 2021 11:16 AM in response to Leanne_68

Yes Leanne_68 - you got me!

That is exactly what I want: Store a random order. Here is an example of what I mean:

I have a playlist of 100 songs.

Of course I can shuffle the sequence of how the songs are played.

So I start playing the playlist in the shuffled order and it plays songs like this (i.e.): 16, 9, 25, 50, 91, 38 and then I stop the playing.

A few minutes (or hours, or days) later, I continue playing the playlist in random order, but now the songs, I already heard (16, 9, 25, 50, 91 and 38) should not be played again. This is possible only with storing a random order. Only then I can continue with song after the last played song (38).

You see: everything is fine! It’s a simple question!

Cheers!

store a random order

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.