You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using iMac display for Macbook Pro M1

Hi, I have an iMac 2013 (running High Sierra) and just buying a MacBook pro m1.

Can is use the iMac as the main display? It wasn't clear in the info if that will work with the new MacBook Pros as it says says 2019 or earlier? Also if that is possible what connection do I need? Thank you!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 6, 2021 9:29 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2021 11:26 AM

Pippatreds wrote:

Ah thank you that's really helpful... maybe I need to replace the imac instead.

✋🏼 Wait. Understand that the last iMac that could act as a monitor for another Mac was discontinued in Late 2014. If you are thinking about a new iMac so it can be a monitor—don't. The issue is that a current MacBook Pro running Big Sur is too NEW to act as a video source for an older iMac that supported Target Display Mode (TDM). The last Macs that could act as a video source for TDM iMacs were made in 2019.

The previously confusing and archived on Target Disk Mode has been made slightly less confusing and was "un-achived" last month:

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 6, 2021 11:26 AM in response to Pippatreds

Pippatreds wrote:

Ah thank you that's really helpful... maybe I need to replace the imac instead.

✋🏼 Wait. Understand that the last iMac that could act as a monitor for another Mac was discontinued in Late 2014. If you are thinking about a new iMac so it can be a monitor—don't. The issue is that a current MacBook Pro running Big Sur is too NEW to act as a video source for an older iMac that supported Target Display Mode (TDM). The last Macs that could act as a video source for TDM iMacs were made in 2019.

The previously confusing and archived on Target Disk Mode has been made slightly less confusing and was "un-achived" last month:

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Using iMac display for Macbook Pro M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.