You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Startup Failure MacBook Pro Mid-2012

Hello Apple Community,

I erased a lot of unnecessary data about 1 week ago since my latop got somewhat slow. It worked way better after until 3 days later I turned it into sleep mode and when I turned it back on it struggled to load and was unbearably slow. So I forced it to shut down after waiting for a while. However, I have not done that before.

When I tried to restart it, I first got the prohibitory sign. I ran all the possible fixes on the Apple support website for this kind of error.

In Disk utility, the Disk and the container are recognized but the Volumes "Macintosh HD" and "Macintosh HD - Data" aren't.

However I can mount them and even see how much data is used on them and how much space is free but running first aid gives the error "dev_read(815728, 1): Input/Output error. The exit code is 0.

I tried to reinstal MacOS after and before mounting the volumes in disk utility but would just get an error as soon as it tried to go through with the operation resulting in the error "Permission denied".

The MacBook now starts up, lets me log in and goes through with loading 60-70% and then just turns black and shuts down. There is no prohibitory sign anymore though.

I don't have any kind of back up and no other Mac at hand. Also I currently have no access to any AASP or Apple store and only have an SSD that I could attach internally and an USB stick with 16gb but I cannot create a bootable USB without working Mac. I would like to save the data if possible without erasing the HDD but wouldn't mind reinstalling the OS if I could.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Posted on Jun 7, 2021 2:42 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2021 9:37 AM

The "I/O Errors" confirm my suspicion that your hard drive is most likely failing. There is a slim chance that the hard drive SATA Cable is bad (the cable on the 13" model is known to fail).

The first order of business is to stop using the hard drive as you are making the failure even worse with each attempt.

Remove the hard drive and install your SSD. Boot into Recovery Mode (Command + R) or Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R) to boot to the online macOS installer. Sometimes it will only boot into the older installer for the OS which originally shipped on the laptop from the factory instead of booting into the current or latest installer. It is best to connect the Mac directly to the router using an Ethernet cable for a faster more reliable connection and to avoid any possible WiFi issues. Install macOS to the SSD. At least this should give you a working laptop.

I highly recommend that you have a professional data recovery service such as Drive Savers or Ontrack attempt to recover the data on the failing hard drive since you may only be given one chance at recovering your data. Drive failures always get worse with each attempt you make to boot the drive, mount the drive, repair the drive, attempt to transfer files, and even just having the drive powered on. If the drive failure is not too severe, then it may be possible to transfer some data using the Finder or better yet using Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC), but this is extremely risky and most likely will fail even with CCC's ability to ignore errors. The best way to even attempt to recover data is by performing a low level bit for bit clone of the failing hard drive to another drive of equal or larger size using a Linux command line utility (macOS interferes with this process) and is most likely what the professional data recovery service will do (although a professional also has more knowledge and many times will attempt to "fix" the drive if necessary (replacing parts or by using expensive software to turn off portions of the drive) to assist in a better chance of recovering the most data possible. Usually after this cloning process the failing hard drive will be dead. Keep in mind that data recovery apps are only made to recover accidentally deleted data or data on a corrupted file system. Data recovery apps are not designed to recover data from a failing hard drive that is producing lots of I/O Errors.

In the future make sure to always have frequent and regular backups of your computer and any external medial which contains important & unique data. It is impossible to recover accidentally deleted data from an SSD after the Trash has been emptied plus an SSD can fail at any time without any warning signs. With newer Macs the SSD is integrated into the Logic Board and is using hardware based encryption controlled by a proprietary Apple security chip. If the firmware on this security chip becomes corrupted (possibly through an OS update) or the chip, or Logic Board fail (or possibly any other part of one of these new Macs) you may permanently lose access to the data on the SSD where even a professional data recovery service will be unable to access the data.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 7, 2021 9:37 AM in response to Bubblestrm

The "I/O Errors" confirm my suspicion that your hard drive is most likely failing. There is a slim chance that the hard drive SATA Cable is bad (the cable on the 13" model is known to fail).

The first order of business is to stop using the hard drive as you are making the failure even worse with each attempt.

Remove the hard drive and install your SSD. Boot into Recovery Mode (Command + R) or Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R) to boot to the online macOS installer. Sometimes it will only boot into the older installer for the OS which originally shipped on the laptop from the factory instead of booting into the current or latest installer. It is best to connect the Mac directly to the router using an Ethernet cable for a faster more reliable connection and to avoid any possible WiFi issues. Install macOS to the SSD. At least this should give you a working laptop.

I highly recommend that you have a professional data recovery service such as Drive Savers or Ontrack attempt to recover the data on the failing hard drive since you may only be given one chance at recovering your data. Drive failures always get worse with each attempt you make to boot the drive, mount the drive, repair the drive, attempt to transfer files, and even just having the drive powered on. If the drive failure is not too severe, then it may be possible to transfer some data using the Finder or better yet using Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC), but this is extremely risky and most likely will fail even with CCC's ability to ignore errors. The best way to even attempt to recover data is by performing a low level bit for bit clone of the failing hard drive to another drive of equal or larger size using a Linux command line utility (macOS interferes with this process) and is most likely what the professional data recovery service will do (although a professional also has more knowledge and many times will attempt to "fix" the drive if necessary (replacing parts or by using expensive software to turn off portions of the drive) to assist in a better chance of recovering the most data possible. Usually after this cloning process the failing hard drive will be dead. Keep in mind that data recovery apps are only made to recover accidentally deleted data or data on a corrupted file system. Data recovery apps are not designed to recover data from a failing hard drive that is producing lots of I/O Errors.

In the future make sure to always have frequent and regular backups of your computer and any external medial which contains important & unique data. It is impossible to recover accidentally deleted data from an SSD after the Trash has been emptied plus an SSD can fail at any time without any warning signs. With newer Macs the SSD is integrated into the Logic Board and is using hardware based encryption controlled by a proprietary Apple security chip. If the firmware on this security chip becomes corrupted (possibly through an OS update) or the chip, or Logic Board fail (or possibly any other part of one of these new Macs) you may permanently lose access to the data on the SSD where even a professional data recovery service will be unable to access the data.

Startup Failure MacBook Pro Mid-2012

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.