You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I try to make a purchase it won’t let me use my gift card that is showing up. Why?

I added a apple gift card and now it won’t let me make purchases from apps. I have money left on the card but it wants me to enter a credit card instead of letting me use my apple gift card money. When I select the option with the balance it wants me to redeem more cards. What do I do?

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Posted on Jun 7, 2021 4:16 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2021 4:37 PM

Did you set up your Apple ID originally without entering a credit card? If you did, were you able to download free apps or use your gift cards to make purchases?

Create or use an Apple ID without a payment method - Apple Support

If you already created an Apple ID and did not follow the proper method to set it up without using a credit card, you have to have a valid payment method on file even if you want to download free content or use gift cards.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 7, 2021 4:37 PM in response to Joshuatruitt

Did you set up your Apple ID originally without entering a credit card? If you did, were you able to download free apps or use your gift cards to make purchases?

Create or use an Apple ID without a payment method - Apple Support

If you already created an Apple ID and did not follow the proper method to set it up without using a credit card, you have to have a valid payment method on file even if you want to download free content or use gift cards.

When I try to make a purchase it won’t let me use my gift card that is showing up. Why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.