You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch update

I got a notification that my watch needs to update, so I clicked download update. A few minutes later a message popped on my screen saying unable to download update must reset. I don’t want to lose all my data by unpairing my watch… why will the update not download? Or how can I not lose all my data?

Apple Watch

Posted on Jun 8, 2021 9:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2021 10:33 AM

When you unpair your watch, it creates a backup on your iPhone that you can then restore from after (or during) the updated process.

Is it a series 3 watch? FWIW, a lot of people are having problems updating a series 3 due to lack of sufficient memory. For possible solutions, see the reply to:

Problem updating Apple Watch Series 3 to … - Apple Community

WatchOS 7.4 can't be updated on Watch Ser… - Apple Community

Series 3 watch only has 4.8 of memory - Apple Community

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 8, 2021 10:33 AM in response to GraceTennis

When you unpair your watch, it creates a backup on your iPhone that you can then restore from after (or during) the updated process.

Is it a series 3 watch? FWIW, a lot of people are having problems updating a series 3 due to lack of sufficient memory. For possible solutions, see the reply to:

Problem updating Apple Watch Series 3 to … - Apple Community

WatchOS 7.4 can't be updated on Watch Ser… - Apple Community

Series 3 watch only has 4.8 of memory - Apple Community

Apple Watch update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.