You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMac won’t boot

I got a iMac (Late 2012) a couple days ago and it literally refuses to boot to anything. I start it up and it sits on the apple logo with a progress bar that gets stuck. Recovery Mode gets stuck with the same progress bar and apple logo. Internet recovery mode gets stuck on the globe with a progress bar that doesn’t move. I’ve reset the PRAM Ive ran the diagnostic tool that doesn’t work and even created a bootable USB of El Capitan and it still gets stuck on the apple logo with progress bar. I’ve ran Single User Boot mode and ran a command that verified my Hard Drive was OK. I really don’t want to have to get up and bring it to Apple if I don’t have to. Can anyone please try to help? NOTE: I don’t have access to FireWire or thunderbolt.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jun 8, 2021 2:24 PM

2 replies

Jun 9, 2021 11:33 AM in response to VargeskelethorJoel

Hi VargeskelethorJoel,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities! We appreciate you reaching out for help with this issue reinstalling macOS on your iMac. We'd love to help in any way we can.

To start, let us know if it'll be possible to join your iMac to another Wi-Fi network, then hold Option-Shift-Command-R during start up to attempt macOS Recovery over the internet once more.

We'd like to share a helpful guide with information all about macOS Recovery:

Use macOS Recovery on an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support

If you continue to experience an issue, we recommend running diagnostics on your iMac at that point. Here's a guide to help with this:

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

We're here for you if you've got any questions.

Have a great day!

My iMac won’t boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.