You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using an older I mac as a monitor to a MacbookPro

i have a question about connecting an I mac 11,3 (2010) to use as a monitor, to a Macbook pro 10,1 (mid 2012). The I mac is running High sierra and the MBP is running Mojave. What sort of cable should i use? There is an article in apple communities stating i need a mini display port cable. if i use a mini display cable to HDMI would it work? I am asking because its really hard to find such a cable in Greece.

any help would be much appreciated

Thank you

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 9, 2021 8:56 AM

7 replies

Jun 9, 2021 9:09 AM in response to leonisg

leonisg wrote:

i have a question about connecting an I mac 11,3 (2010) to use as a monitor, to a Macbook pro 10,1 (mid 2012). The I mac is running High sierra and the MBP is running Mojave. What sort of cable should i use? There is an article in apple communities stating i need a mini display port cable. if i use a mini display cable to HDMI would it work? I am asking because its really hard to find such a cable in Greece.

any help would be much appreciated

Thank you

No this will not work.

Jun 9, 2021 9:31 AM in response to leonisg

i have a question about connecting an I mac 11,3 (2010) to use as a monitor, to a Macbook pro 10,1 (mid 2012).

Actually that combo should work. The hardware meets the requirements as do the macOS versions.

if i use a mini display cable to HDMI would it work?

Probably not.

I successfully connected my Mid-2012 MBP 9,2 to a 2010 iMac 27 via target display mode. You need a mini-display-port (MDP) cable--that's all. Use the MDP/Thunderbolt 1 port on the MacBook Pro and the MDP port on the iMac. Should work without issue, and an MDP cable is cheaper and easier to find.

Using an older I mac as a monitor to a MacbookPro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.