You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm having an issue with Compressor adding time to my videos. This is happening on 4 different Macs. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

I make television content that is required to be exactly 28:30 in length. All the content that I created up to December shows up correctly. I didn't make any content during December so I can't pinpoint exactly when it started, but content from Jan 7 and on is coming out of compressor at 28:32. It doesn't matter if it's MP3, MP4, or MPEG. All of the content that I export from compressor has the same time added to it, and the longer the video is, the more time is added to it. I seem to be getting about one extra second for every 15 minutes of video. I have had an open case with Apple for about a month now and have not had any luck figuring out what is going on. I even used a brand new mac with a fresh install of Final Cut and Compressor. I used a generator in FCP and timed it to 28:30, and sent it to compressor. I used Apples default apple devices setting and still get the same result with no outside media and no external drive. I've tried it on M1 and intel macs. I even installed compressor on a M1 Mac Mini and didn't install FCP. I ran a raw ProRes file though it and also got the same result. Everything is up to date and I'm at a loss with what to do now.

iMac, OS X 10.10

Posted on Jun 9, 2021 10:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2021 3:20 PM

I don't know. I can't reproduce the problem. I sent a 29:59;29 project that's drop frame to Compressor, and it lost one frame. I don't know why, but the output was 29;59;28.

This project length is 29:59;29 in FCP in drop frame. When I go into project properties and switch off drop frame the project length is 29:58:05. When I send that project to Compressor the project length is 30:00:00. That's the real clock time for a project that 29:59:29..

The best thing you can do is to get out of 29.97. Don't shoot it. Don't edit it. Work in 30. Of course if that's what station wants then you have no choice.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 9, 2021 3:20 PM in response to elevimurley

I don't know. I can't reproduce the problem. I sent a 29:59;29 project that's drop frame to Compressor, and it lost one frame. I don't know why, but the output was 29;59;28.

This project length is 29:59;29 in FCP in drop frame. When I go into project properties and switch off drop frame the project length is 29:58:05. When I send that project to Compressor the project length is 30:00:00. That's the real clock time for a project that 29:59:29..

The best thing you can do is to get out of 29.97. Don't shoot it. Don't edit it. Work in 30. Of course if that's what station wants then you have no choice.

Jun 9, 2021 12:02 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thank you for replying.

I usually use in h.264 at 29.97 1080p as my source media. I am however, having the same issue when editing from ProRes 422 LT at 59.94. This happens regardless of whether the file is sent from FCP or if I drop it into Compressor directly from the SSD it was recorded on. This also happens with custom settings that I have created and used for the last 4 years. If I export a master file from FCP, it is the correct length. If I use any compressor setting, Apple or custom, it has added time. To be exact, a 28:30;00 video in will come out of compressor at 28:31;22. And of course the same thing happens when using an Apple generator in FCP.

I have tried multiple generators and even a placeholder timed at 28:30 and still get the same result. I have figured out that if I retime the video in compressor to 28:28;08, I can get a 28:30 video.

Jun 10, 2021 8:08 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Yes, I saw when I exported a master file from fcp that it was 28:29;29. Then I would drop that master file into compressor and end up with the additional time. I was going through my projects and noticed that not all of them have the option for drop frame. The ones that don't are in PAL format at 25fps and those are the ones that have come out right. I also tested a generator at 30fps and it also came out correctly, so it seems you have settled it for me. I did select drop frame on one of the projects and the timing on the timeline changed to show what I've been getting all along, 28:31;22. I am surprised that I haven't been questioned about this from Apple and also wondering if I somehow unselected this, or if a default has changed. Most of the stuff I record is not time sensitive since it's simply posted online or turned into a DVD, which would explain how I haven't noticed before. My equipment doesn't let me record in 30 or 60 so I will have to be more diligent from here on out. I appreciate your time in helping me solve this issue and educating me a little more. Thank you!

I'm having an issue with Compressor adding time to my videos. This is happening on 4 different Macs. Is anyone else experiencing this issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.