You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Malayalam keyboard not supporting fonts

Ios Malayalam keyboard not supporting installed fonts! Or can I get the letter mapping of Malayalam alphabets on English keyboard, as some letters are missing!

Posted on Jun 10, 2021 3:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2021 5:27 AM

No I’m not mistaken. Well, I’ll elaborate the issue. I’m using a third party application and I have installed fonts on it of the Malayalam language. But as I copy-paste sentences, the pasted item changes to system fonts instead of the fonts I choose. The same happens as I type it on ios Malayalam keyboard. I’m pretty good in using it, I can connect all letters and create the desired letter. The issue is that it is not supporting the fonts I desire as I type. But, when I choose the fonts and type it on the English keyboard without changing the keyboard to Malayalam, I’m getting jumbled Malayalam letters on English keyboard with the desired fonts supported. But some letters are missing on the English keyboard. Hope I’m clear. Anyway, Thank you for the reply. Hoping you can help more.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 10, 2021 5:27 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

No I’m not mistaken. Well, I’ll elaborate the issue. I’m using a third party application and I have installed fonts on it of the Malayalam language. But as I copy-paste sentences, the pasted item changes to system fonts instead of the fonts I choose. The same happens as I type it on ios Malayalam keyboard. I’m pretty good in using it, I can connect all letters and create the desired letter. The issue is that it is not supporting the fonts I desire as I type. But, when I choose the fonts and type it on the English keyboard without changing the keyboard to Malayalam, I’m getting jumbled Malayalam letters on English keyboard with the desired fonts supported. But some letters are missing on the English keyboard. Hope I’m clear. Anyway, Thank you for the reply. Hoping you can help more.

Jun 10, 2021 4:47 AM in response to sufiyan998

sufiyan998 wrote:

some letters are missing!

I think you are mistaken about that. You just need to know how the keyboard works. Tell us what you think is "missing" and I will explain it to you.

Here are examples of similar questions posted by other users:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252705690

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252803862

Jun 10, 2021 5:38 AM in response to sufiyan998

Apple only supports Unicode fonts, which require the Malayalam keyboard. It sounds like you may be trying to use non-unicode fonts which map Malayalam characters to the Latin characters set and the English keyboard. I doubt there is any way to make that work right on Apple devices. Perhaps the people who make those non-standard fonts can provide you a key to how they are supposed to map to Latin characters?

If you have any problems typing Malayalam with the Unicode fonts and keyboard supplied by Apple, feel free to ask again,

Malayalam keyboard not supporting fonts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.