You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting unused system fonts?

Anyone having luck removing fonts they'll never use (such as Noto) from the Big Sur to keep them from cluttering up the font menus in Adobe Creative Cloud applications? Seems like Apple disabled the user from being able to delete these fonts via Font Book…

iMac Pro, macOS 11.0

Posted on Jun 10, 2021 9:06 AM

Similar questions

11 replies

Jul 10, 2021 8:20 PM in response to dopodo

Actually two Solutions

"Typeface". Oh yeah. You gotta try this. 

1. Open Typeface

2. Choose File > Import…

3. Navigate to /System/Library/Fonts/Supplemental

4. Import the ’Supplemental’ folder

Deactivate away. 

Font Heaven.

"Rightfont"

Download, go to system fonts. Deactivate most in one go.

Satisfaction.

Excited just to be able to share.

Extended explanation from Typeface copied below.

============START=============

The Noto fonts are indeed a bit annoying. Unfortunately it’s partly Apple and partly design apps that are to blame.

Apple provides a few Noto system fonts which are required. They cannot be deactivated, macOS won’t let you or any font manager deactivate them. So these fonts will always be visible in design apps.

There are also a few ‘document support’ Noto fonts. These fonts should not be used in new creations. They are only available for existing documents, for backwards compatibility. That means that they should not be selectable by a user, they are only available if an existing document already uses the font.

Many design applications don’t care about that and just show the fonts in their font picker anyway. As far as I know that is not Apple’s intention, these Noto fonts should not be visible in font pickers, or at the very least be hidden by default. You won’t see them in Apple’s own apps either.

Typeface doesn’t show them, because macOS, understandably, doesn’t provide them. You can deactivate them in Typeface, but you’ll have to import them manually:

1. Open Typeface

2. Choose File > Import…

3. Navigate to /System/Library/Fonts/Supplemental

4. Import the ’Supplemental’ folder

That folder contains optional system fonts, which can be deactivated by Typeface. It includes the ‘document support’ Noto fonts.

You may also notice that when you open other apps (or even Right Font) that the deactivated Noto fonts will automatically activate again. That’s because they’re provided by macOS when needed (that is, to support existing documents). Whenever an app requests the Noto fonts they are made available by macOS.

Typeface won’t do that because it doesn’t request the fonts, because you manually import the Supplemental folder.

I’d suggest to keep the ‘document support’ fonts activated in Typeface, because that’s the way it should be in macOS (but it’s up to you of course). You should not see these fonts in font pickers. If you use a design app that does show them, please send feedback to the developer. The required Noto fonts cannot be deactivated (these are located in /System/Library/Fonts), that’s Apple’s decision.

For information about document support fonts see: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211240

Hope this helps and clears things up.

Jun 10, 2021 10:42 AM in response to dopodo

to keep them from cluttering up the font menus in Adobe Creative Cloud applications?

Just to point out where the responsibility for this lies, as it turns up a lot. Apple have provided an API or programming hook that Adobe could use (like others do) to exclude unwanted fonts. Why Adobe refuse to use it is a question you'd need to ask them.

Jun 10, 2021 11:54 AM in response to Yer_Man

I do consider Apple the party to blame, as they are both the one including hundreds of unwanted fonts, as well as disabling the user's ability to remove or de-activate the same unwanted fonts. Making the third-part apps responsible for this is absurd. They didn't put the fonts in the system: Apple did. In the past the user had the ability to control these aspects of the system. Third parties didn't remove the ability to de-activate or remove fonts. Apple did.

Include them, fine. But let me decide to keep them or not. Don't put them in and force me to wade through them every single time I try to select a font within an application.

I'd love to hear the rationale behind it, or if Apple is even aware that this is a problem for designers using Adobe CC as well as Affinity Photo and Designer. I though this company had a history of working to make tools for graphic designers? Why would they do such a thing?

Jul 10, 2021 12:51 AM in response to dopodo

YESSSSSSSSS!

And it took days to find.

Noto the U2 of fonts does have a weakness.

https://rightfontapp.com

Use this font manager to deactivate most of the Noto families.

Great, menus back to useful.

Then complete the revenge by going into Fontbook and hey presto I was able to delete the ones I had deactivated.

Ohh the satisfaction!!!!

Can use the trial version but these guys and gals deserve dosh for this feature alone.

Jul 10, 2021 12:57 AM in response to Yer_Man

I am really tired of people running with this unhelpful argument.

One system level way of managing fonts is how it has been for 30 years.

Suggesting every developer should institute their own interpretation of what every user is looking for in font management is what made Microsoft what it is today.

Fortunately Rightfont has an answer which means we can get some control back system wide so all our programs continue to work as expected.

Deleting unused system fonts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.