You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Feature Gone From Smart Albums?

I have these albums in my Photos library labelled "Images over 15 MB", "Images under 15 MB", and the same thing for videos but with 100mb. I made them in 2019. There are thousands of photos in each, so no way I manually selected them. I want to update them to be current, but I cannot figure out for the life of me how I did it the first time! There's no option for file size as a query in smart albums, it seems. Is it possible this was a smart album and then Apple removed the feature so it converted to a regular album?

Posted on Jun 11, 2021 6:19 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2021 11:41 PM

Photos had never the ability to use the file size in a smart album, like aperture had.

Perhaps you have been using an Apple Script to create the albums?

For example, this Apple Script can partition a set of selected photos into two albums, according to the file size:

See: Script: How to find videos and photos in your Photos Library smaller than a given file size… - Apple Community

If your system is running macOS 10.15 or later the scripts do no longer work well, if we select photos in a smart album or an album that is not the top level album. In that case you should select all photo either in All Photos or a top level standard album, not an album nested in a folder. I am now creating temporary albums at the top level to allow me to select photos before running a script.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 11, 2021 11:41 PM in response to HarrisonMG

Photos had never the ability to use the file size in a smart album, like aperture had.

Perhaps you have been using an Apple Script to create the albums?

For example, this Apple Script can partition a set of selected photos into two albums, according to the file size:

See: Script: How to find videos and photos in your Photos Library smaller than a given file size… - Apple Community

If your system is running macOS 10.15 or later the scripts do no longer work well, if we select photos in a smart album or an album that is not the top level album. In that case you should select all photo either in All Photos or a top level standard album, not an album nested in a folder. I am now creating temporary albums at the top level to allow me to select photos before running a script.

Feature Gone From Smart Albums?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.