You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOSX calendar bug

Hello

My calendar has become quite buggy : the most annoying aspect is that details stored in the 'notes' section of an appointment don't always 'stick'. I often create a copy of an historical appointment, and then paste it into the present - and then make modifications to the 'notes' section of the appointment. Quite often, the detail contained in the present appointment's 'note' section, revert to the historical appointments 'notes'. Another issue : sometimes, upon creating a new appointment, it is impossible to move or adjust the duration of the appointment by dragging/dropping or stretching/compressing. The only way with such 'stuck' appointments is to adjust their parameters from within the appointment itself.

I am using Version 11.0 of the Calendar app on a 2019 iMac. I used the calendar for both personal and work appointments, however the bulk of the appointments are work appointments of my 2 employees + myself. In total, I have 12 calendars - where 7 of these are shared. All of the calendars are iCloud calendars.

There are a large number of appointments - perhaps an average of 10 per day, going back 10 years - so that's potentially 36,000 appointments. I'm wondering if it's this that's causing the issue - and that the calendar is 'overloaded'. I've got a 250gb iCloud account - it's about 50% full. I've logged out of my Apple account, and back in again (several times) as well as restarts etc - nothing seems to help.

If the opinion is that it's overloaded, is there a way to purge certain events (perhaps events older than 5 years) to lighten the load?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Matthew

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 17, 2021 4:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2021 5:55 AM

Whew, that's the largest I've ever heard of & imagine it could be.

Start with this...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 17, 2021 5:55 AM in response to MattRA

Whew, that's the largest I've ever heard of & imagine it could be.

Start with this...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Jun 17, 2021 1:13 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks - will give that a go. It could be that I've outgrown Calendar, and need something more powerful - like BusyCal or Fantistical. I imagine they'd also get swamped by the large number of appointments, but they do seem to offer additional functionality - and hopefully (unlike Calendar, as far as I can tell), permit the user to purge old events.

MacOSX calendar bug

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.