You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i purchased the LaCie Mobile Drive 4TB External Hard Drive USB-C USB 3.0 that i want to use with my MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch early2013 laptop.

i purchased the LaCie Mobile Drive 4TB External Hard Drive USB-C USB 3.0 that i want to use with my MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch early2013 laptop.

will this hard drive work when i purchase a 16-inch MacBook Pro? what is the difference between SSD and HDD?

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Jun 17, 2021 6:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2021 7:10 AM

It will work. Use disk utility to format it (choose Mac OS journaled/extended). You don’t need to install any LaCie software.

https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/erase-and-reformat-a-storage-device-dskutl14079/mac

The difference with an ssd drive:

• an ssd is faster but more expensive
  • an ssd is more resistant to shocks (do you have to transport the external drive often?)
  • if you use an SSD and want to reformat it, choose APFS format

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 17, 2021 7:10 AM in response to susie3154

It will work. Use disk utility to format it (choose Mac OS journaled/extended). You don’t need to install any LaCie software.

https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/erase-and-reformat-a-storage-device-dskutl14079/mac

The difference with an ssd drive:

• an ssd is faster but more expensive
  • an ssd is more resistant to shocks (do you have to transport the external drive often?)
  • if you use an SSD and want to reformat it, choose APFS format

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.