You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ALL my 'custom' Mailboxes in Mail disappeared following upgrade to Big Sur

Until last week I have been running OS Mojave my 2019 21.5" iMac . I always use MacMail and have accumulated approx 18,000 emails which I have carefully filed in 30-40 'custom' mailboxes and sub-mailboxes within MacMail over a number of years.

This week I have changed my iMac to a 2020 27" iMac with a 512GB internal SSD AND also, at the same time, I upgraded the OS to the latest Big Sur 11.4.

Unfortunately, once the new OS was installed I found to my horror that all 30-40 mailboxes had 'disappeared' even though the emails themselves appear to remain - but they are now dumped into one single huge mailbox (called "Important") and all my careful custom-filing 'organisation' is totally lost!

I have tried to use the Mac 'Time Machine' to recover the mailbox structure but it will not open at all, because, I think, as it is now sitting in a 'new' environment in the new SSD and not the old external HDD, it does not recognise the new installation.

I see that many others have suffered very similar issues and I'm horrified that Apple has not jumped onto such a fundamental problem that is very important to the vast majority of users.

I also run CarbonCopyCloner and I am hoping that the back-ups there might just contain the file structure that I have lost.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 18, 2021 3:06 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2021 10:36 AM

Update! Just to confirm that CarbonCopyCloner has allowed me to restore the entire mailbox structure and email contents of my 'lost' Mac Mail - exceedingly relieved!! I now need to find a user-friendly app to check for duplicated emails in all this sorry process. Note to self: don't let this happen again!! (Last time was 2015 when MS Outlook decided to take a 'dive'...)

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 21, 2021 10:36 AM in response to Automac2

Update! Just to confirm that CarbonCopyCloner has allowed me to restore the entire mailbox structure and email contents of my 'lost' Mac Mail - exceedingly relieved!! I now need to find a user-friendly app to check for duplicated emails in all this sorry process. Note to self: don't let this happen again!! (Last time was 2015 when MS Outlook decided to take a 'dive'...)

ALL my 'custom' Mailboxes in Mail disappeared following upgrade to Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.